The vast majority of hospitals rely on the purchase order process, and the reconciliation of purchase orders, when packages arrive at the hospital. This process is tedious, time consuming and is often inaccurate. Other common logistics challenges for hospitals include:
- Multiple points of entry (materials management, the loading dock, the mailroom, etc.)
- Multiple types of inbound packages (individual specific, department specific, supplies)
- Different departments have set their own policies and standards for shipping, making it difficult to enforce to achieve consistency and cost savings
- Reporting on shipments from multiple carriers is very time consuming
- Shipping non-regulated chemicals and regulated hazardous materials requires strict adherence to transportation regulations to help protect you from liability.